Chile Head

adventures in chile from an english food dude

Friday, February 18, 2005

dilemmas

i've often wondered about using lamb in Mexican cookery ... i've not seen it mentioned in many recipes but I wonder whether goat is a similar meat because I know they do a dish 'cabrita' (?)using goat, which I gather they sometimes barbecue whole. anyone offering advice on this, I'm all ears. Anyway, using lamb I'd always figured you'd need robust chile and spice flavours.. I must have been right in thinking that, cos my precious green-chile/tomatillo sauce was kind of overwhelmed by the meat. Not that my guests minded! But I'd have rather enjoyed the flavours of the tomatillo sauce seeing as I can only buy fresh t'illos between August and October and seeing as the sauce was a real labor to make! ah well.. self pity...

tomorrow, if my nice fat mango has softened up a bit, I will chop it with a fresh habanero, two thin slices of red onion, nice handful of coriander, juice and zest of half a lime and may be a chopped de-seeded tomato too. If it works like last summer, when there were super-sweet purple Pakistani mangoes in the shops, we'll be in salsa paradise!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm randomly reading blogs and I came upon yours. Your food descriptions sounded delicious. Makes me want to take off work and have some of your creations!

7:14 pm  
Blogger marktristan said...

cool.. nice to hear from you... hopefully soon I'll figure how to post photos too. do you cook Mexican too? I'm hoping that along the way I might pick up some tips (and maybe someplace to get tricky ingredients in the UK!)

11:48 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home